Sunday 24 November 2013

Week 7: AUTONOMOUS LEARNING



Week 7: AUTONOMOUS LEARNING

Hi friends! Week 7 is about to be closed.
 What an adventure!
A quick one, isn’t it?

This week we were blessed with two main topics: Learner Autonomy and one-computer/mobile devices in the classroom. I focused my discussions on learner autonomy, but I was also interested in one-computer/mobile phone devices.
First of all I read “What is learner autonomy and how can it be fostered? By Dimitrios Thanasoulas: http://iteslj.org/Articles/Thanasoulas-Autonomy.html .
 In this article I learned definitions of learner autonomy. I read also synonyms of autonomy learning such as independence, self-assessment, and responsibility and so on.  In short learner autonomy is someone who learned by himself, who takes initiative for learning. However, autonomy learning does not clean away the role of the teacher, but he is there playing the role of a facilitator, providing them with scaffoldings. No place for spoon feeding in autonomy learning. As goes the saying: “Teach students how to fish instead of giving them fish.” Autonomous learning is what our world needs today.

As far as the second reading is concerned I do not have deep experience of using computer in class or mobile phone devices in class. First, we do not have a computer in the classroom; second, mobile phone is forbidden in our school. But I do use my computer as a teacher tool to prepare courses, assessment.
This week is like the cornerstone for me. I was asking myself, when I read the schedule of the course, how to teach a whole classroom with only one-computer.
I learned through these readings, and through colleagues’ posts many ways of using one computer in class. Now I know I can use one computer as teacher’s tool. If I connect the computer with a projector I can use it for the whole class. I can use it to write a story. Thank you all.

I was so happy experiencing Padlet or wall wisher. I did not wait to create my own for the class.
I also found a peer partner , Ahmed HAMZI, to read, and evaluate my final project report.
Thank Courtney! Thank you classmates! For such a rich week.
Let keep on going higher and higher.
 “Sky is the limit”
Thank you week seven!!!
Bernadette

3 comments:

  1. Hi Bernadette!
    You are absolutely right that there's no place for 'spoon feeding' and that 'Autonomous learning is what our world needs today'. We need to make our classes more learner centred.

    Most of us have created Padlet walls for our students. It's a wonderful tool and my students have also liked it.

    Best of Luck for your project!

    Darshan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use the Computer as Multi-Media Chalk Board or Flip Chart:

    I organized a wokshop at my English academy and a teacher from Texas took his tablet and wrote several words. the students formed teams sitting U shape and chose a volunteer, the idea was to help the chosen student to discover the word. I posted the activity in the padlet, you only need One pc ot tablet.
    so what do you think?
    best wishes
    Domingo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous, Bernadette! I LOVE hearing that week 7 was like a "cornerstone" for you! It's true that so much can be accomplished with one computer in the classroom. I bring my laptop to class everyday and hook it up to the projector. I'm a huge fan of interactive PPTs, so using one to guide my lessons is normal procedure.

    I'm glad that you enjoyed learning about Padlet. It's such a fun tool!

    The sky IS the limit, Bernadette! We should all keep reaching higher and higher!

    Best,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete