Sunday 17 November 2013

Implement the change

Implement the change

Hi Courtney and dear participants

Here six weeks now that we are launch in this adventure of using technology in teaching/learning. I learned new strategies, experiences etc. It's time I implemented the change. Thank Courtney for your positive feedback that highlights my implementation. 

My concern was to remove shyness and poor expression form within my students of grade 5. They are aged between 15- 18 years old. They are 62, 22 girls and 40 boys. For that reason I implemented the change. I introduced technology in my class to help students improve their speaking skills. I went through bygosh.com, chose a lovely story, download it and and used it in class for a reading comprehension lesson. The students enjoyed the course because I use lots of the methods for large classes such pair work, group work. I also teach them how to use voxopop. Their homework was to summarize the story and record it in voxopop. I first did an example and make them listen to it. It motivated them and they were so excited to try. Some of them succeeded in trying, but they all were interested in it. As Courtney suggested, I helped them with some guiding questions. Some of the students were not able to try the activity because of the lack of condition to do it. I was so sorry! I tried by all means to find another technique of recording off line. Fortunately I discovered Audacity.com a very nice tool to record voice without internet connection. The satisfaction of my students is total. Audacity is in our current use now. And because they are launch, they regularly try the activity alone, outside the classroom. I think my goal is achieved. I give them individual feedback each time they exercise themselves and that motivate them. The contact with me is regular. They also evaluate one another (peer evaluation). They work and discuss with each other. 

This change initiate a new idea which is to create a listening lesson with their recordings. They will listen of course with guiding questions. They will assess, and evaluate their peer recording. Usually I integrate skills in my teaching.

I feel relax and happy. My large class is no more a hindrance, thanks to webs-skill course. I am so grateful. Thank Courtney for your help, we are now moving like the wind. Thanks for providing us with wings. We are now flying with our own wings, how wonderful it is. Yes! knowledge is the real power; I feel now powerful.

Best !
Bernadette


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful blog post, Bernadette! I especially like hearing the update on your final project. You've made huge strides already! You implemented a tool that not all students found success with, so you identified a different tool that serves a similar purpose, and now everyone has found success. Congratulations on job well done!

    Your closing paragraph is marvelous! I feel the power and energy from you. Thanks for sharing!

    Best,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete